FACTS AT A GLANCE
It’s a proven fact: investment in our transportation infrastructure, particularly public transportation, drives growth. It attracts development and increased property values along its corridors. It connects restaurants to diners, landlords to renters, families to local stores and employers to employees. Robust investment in public transportation yields results.
- In 2017, Americans took 10.1 billion trips on public transportation.
- 34 million times each weekday, people board public transportation.
- Public transportation is a $68 billion industry that employs more than 420,000 people.
- More than 6,700 organizations provide public transportation in the United States.
- Since 1995 public transportation ridership increased by 30% – a growth rate higher than the 22% increase in the U.S. population
PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION HAS A POSITIVE ECONOMIC IMPACT ON COMMUNITIES
- Every $1 communities invest in public transportation approximately $4 is generated in economic returns.
- Every $10 million in operating investment in public transportation yields $30 million in increased business sales.
- Residential property values perform 42 percent better on average if they are located near public transportation with high-frequency service.
- 1.4 million jobs are created or sustained per year because of public transportation.
PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION GIVES ACCESS
- Public transportation provides personal mobility and freedom for people from every walk of life.
- Access to public transportation gives people transportation options to get to work, go to school, visit friends, or go to a doctor’s office.
- Public transportation provides access to job opportunities for millions of Americans.
PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION SAVES MONEY
- The average household spends 18 cents of every dollar on transportation, and 96% of this goes to buying, maintaining, and operating cars, the largest expenditure after housing.
- A household can save more than $10,000 by taking public transportation and living with one less car.